WASHINGTON, D.C.óOn Thursday, Congressman Ted Poe (TX-02) will host a House Judiciary Crime Subcommittee Field Forum on the domestic use of drones. The Forum will take place in the Shell Auditorium at Rice University. Other Members of Congress including Congressman Michael McCaul (TX-10), Congresswoman Sandy Adams (FL--24) and Congressman Hank Johnson (GA-4) will be present to listen to witness testimony and ask questions about domestic drones.
The policy forum, titled ìDomestic Drones: What are the limits?î will bring together law enforcement officials and experts in the field to educate Members of Congress and the community on the implications of the increased use of drones in the United States.
ìIt is estimated that by 2030, 30,000 drones will be flying in American skies,î said Poe. ìCongress has the obligation to proactively ensure that the Fourth Amendment rights of private citizens are protected in this new ìdrone worldî by establishing guidelines about when and for what purposes law enforcement agencies, private citizens, and businesses can use drones. I look forward to hearing from experts in the field on this issue.î
1. Harris County Sheriff Adrian Garcia
2. Amie Stepanovich, Counsel the Electronic Privacy Information Center
3. Chris Calabrese, Legislative Counsel, American Civil Liberties Union
4. David Leebron, President, Rice University (and former Dean of Columbia Law School)
5. Todd E. Humphreys, Professor of Aerospace Engineering at The University of Texas at Austin
6. Gretchen West, Executive Vice President, Association for Unmanned Vehicle Systems International
7. Commander Philip Duane Steen, Texas Department of Public Safety
8. Professor David Crump, Professor of Law at the Houston University Law Center
NOTE: ALL MEDIA INTERESTED IN ATTENDING FORUM MUST RSVP TO SHAYLYN HYNES AND B.J. ALMOND (Shaylyn.firstname.lastname@example.org and Balmond@rice.edu) BY 9:00PM WEDNESDAY EVENING. MEDIA CHECK IN WILL BEGIN PROMPTLY AT 9:00AM THURSDAY.
A LIVE WEBCAST OF THE FORUM WILL BE AVAILABLE FOR MEDIA WHO ARE UNABLE TO ATTEND. TO VIEW THE LIVE WEBCAST GO TO: jones.adobeconnect.com/r5tvzws7ooe/